In my teens and twenties, I was blessed with great skin. I made it through all those awkward high school and college years without any devastatingly bad blemishes and thought I was in the clear… then I hit 30. Now, adult acne is just plain mean. Just when you should be hitting your stride, you’re suddenly smacked with confidence-busting breakouts. On top of that, my sensitive skin seemed to become more prone to eczema flare-ups as an adult than it did in my youth (which could be attributed to added stress or any number of other factors), and I was looking for anti-aging ingredients as much as anti-acne. Many, many trips to my dermatologist, a bevy of facialists, and hundreds of product trials later, I’m happy to say that I’ve finally found a skincare combo that works for me. Everyone’s skin is different but I was extremely fortunate to have had direct access to some of the amazing women behind these lines, as well as an excellent dermatologist, through my work at InStyle and I hope that, by sharing a few of the tips and skin-saving products I picked up along the way, I can help someone else even out their complexion and get their glow back. -A-
1. CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser: My dermatologist introduced me to CeraVe, a widely available drugstore brand. This face wash is super gentle, removes makeup without stripping my skin, and is packed with hardworking ceramides and hyaluronic acid.
2. Kate Somerville Quench: I started going to Kate Somerville about 10 years ago and Quench was one of the first products she turned me on to. I use other serums now and then but always seem to go back to Quench. It absorbs nicely and makes my skin super soft.
3. Josie Maran Argan Oil: For me, this acts as a nourishing eye makeup remover and eye cream in one. After I wipe away my eye makeup (even waterproof mascara!) I pat an extra drop around my eyes for added moisture.
4. Renee Rouleau Sheer Moisture: A total lifesaver! Chock full of vitamins it’s anti-aging yet won’t clog pores. I use this day and night.
5. Josie Maran Protect + Perfect Broad Spectrum SPF 40 Tinted Lotion: This is currently only available in a set from QVC but it’s well worth it in my opinion. Very subtly tinted with a high SPF, it’s easy to layer and perfect for a dewy, no-makeup look.
6. Smith’s Rosebud Salve: Beloved for a reason. It’s perfect alone or as a moisture-rich gloss over your favorite lip color.
Ziana: By Rx only, I use this at night after cleansing and before moisturizing. It’s great for both keeping acne and wrinkles at bay.
Dickinson’s Oil Controlling Towelettes: I began using these after reading that they’re one of Drew Barrymore’s blemish-fighting secrets. I use them when needed but especially love using them to quickly cleanse skin after a workout.